The Village of South Holland, IL (pop. 22,030 - 2010) located in Cook County and a southern suburb 3 miles outside of the Chicago city limit, was incorporated in 1894. Originally a farming community, in the 1960’s it transitioned into a bedroom community, with a large industrial park. The Village is approximately 7.28 mi2 and features about 7,600 single family homes, 600 vibrant businesses, 30 parks, 30 churches, and a modern community center. The Village has no apartment buildings and no liquor stores. Its motto of “Faith, Family and Future” speaks to the deeply held values of the community. The Village government is well regarded by its residents as being good stewards who deliver excellent essential services. Consequently, the Village enjoys tremendous political stability. The community operates under fiscally sound management, with a team of professionals under the direction of a Village Administrator.
Interestingly, South Holland was home to famed White Sox pitcher Steve Trout, former A’s and Cardinals pitcher Mark Mulder, Met’s outfielder Cliff Floyd and former Bulls and former Knicks basketball player Eddy Curry.
The Village is seeking a full-time Deputy Fire Chief to help lead the staff of 43 (24 career and 19 Paid-On-Call - POC). Fire and EMS services are provided from (2) fire stations. Current annual call volume is about 5,200. The department provides emergency response to parts of I-80, I-94 and I-294 in the Illinois tollway system. The department proudly has earned an ISO Class 2 PPC rating.
The Fire Chief will be supported by the current Deputy Chief (part-time), this new additional Deputy Chief position, (3) shift Lieutenants with shift and POC personnel, an administrative assistant, and (1) fire Inspector. The full-time personnel are part of IAFF Local 4109 and work a 24/48 schedule.
The department provides full fire, EMS, specialized team response, fire prevention and more to the Village and region. The department is a member of the Mutual Aid Box Alarm System (MABAS) Division 24. E911 emergency communications and operations are provided by E-Com, a joint dispatch agency created to serve the communities in the region, and South Holland holds two positions on the board of E-Com. The Fire Department’s FY 2020 budget is approximately $ 4.6 million. The overall Village general fund budget is $25 million.
In seeking to fill this position, the Village is emphasizing leadership capacity, and the ideal candidate will also possess certain relevant technical expertise.
The following list provides the required attributes a candidate must have in order to be successful in working for the Village of South Holland:
- Innovative, collaborative and experienced fire/EMS professional with demonstrated leadership capacity who also excels in the areas of management, interpersonal communication and customer service.
- Strong communicator with a humble confidence and approachability to interact with the community, Village officials, staff and other stakeholders.
- A commitment to the organization and the senior management team of the Village.
- An engaged professional with a strong background in modern fire, EMS, emergency management and all hazards practices.
- A person that understands the need for, and how to use, data for problem solving, community risk reduction efforts, and effective communication.
- The ability and desire to coach and mentor staff in order to foster personal growth and leadership talent.
Preference may be given to candidates who also have:
- A degree in fire science, emergency management, emergency medical services or related fields. A master’s degree is preferred.
- A minimum of approximately 10 years’ experience and demonstrated leadership in a fire service command position.
- Obtain the designation of Executive Fire Officer, Chief Fire Officer or similar certification from the National Fire Academy Executive Fire Officer, Chief Fire Officer Designation or similar certification.
The annual salary range for this position is $$85,146 - $113,527 +/- DOQ plus excellent benefits. The successful candidate must live within a 20 mile radius of the Village Hall, or in any community touched by the 20 mile radius, within one year of the date of hire.
Candidates must apply by June 24, 2020 with resume, cover letter and contact information for five work-related references to www.GovHRjobs.com to the attention of Tim Sashko, Vice President, GovHR USA, 630 Dundee Road, #130, Northbrook, IL 60062. Tel: 847-380-3197. The Village of South Holland is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
Posted:May 19, 2020
Click HERE to Apply!
Click HERE for Brochure!