GovHR USA is recruiting candidates for the position of Superintendent of Detention of the Hulse Detention Center for the Nineteenth Judicial Circuit Court of Lake County, Illinois.
About the Position
The Superintendent is responsible for providing day-day leadership and administration of all detention functions and activities under the direction of the Juvenile Court and the Division of Juvenile Probation and Detention Services. This
includes the welfare and security of up to 48 youth in secure custody and 12 youth in residential treatment at the Hulse Detention Center located in Vernon Hills, IL.
The Superintendent reports to the Director of Juvenile Probation and Detention Services. With the assistance of two Deputy Superintendents, and six Unit Managers, the Superintendent is responsible for a large dynamic work force of 69 full-time employees and 1 part-time staff. Key position responsibilities include:
- Developing procedures, programs and policies to assure efficient functioning of the Hulse Detention Center and implementing new procedures through assigned staff.
- Implementing evidence-based practices to address the needs of court-involved youth as well as maintain safety and security of the Hulse Detention Center.
- Implement cutting-edge strategies to address the mental health needs of youth.
- Organizing detention workgroups and their leadership in order to successfully accomplish detention activities, functions and goals.
- Assisting the Director of Juvenile Probation & Detention Services with the preparation of the detention center’s budget, and monitoring expenditures and authorizing purchases within established guidelines.
- Developing short and long-term goals for detention under the direction of the Director and Juvenile Court Judges and in collaboration with the members of the senior management team.
- Assessing the needs of youth in secure custody and their transition to the community and developing and implementing processes to effectively serve the youth in custody to reduce recidivism.
- Maintaining an awareness of changing juvenile detention practices and changes in State and Federal regulations and advising the Court, Director of Juvenile Probation and Detention Services and others.
- Ensuring the effective and efficient coordination of juvenile intake activities between the Juvenile Probation Unit, the Juvenile Court, and the detention center.
The successful candidate will meet the following requirements:
- Be a leader who has the skills to effectively manage a large operation and possesses an excellent track record of motivating teams and managing a diverse work force.
- Master's Degree (M. A.) or equivalent preferably in Social Work, Criminal Justice, or related field or actively seeking a master’s degree in one of those fields. Requires four to eight years of related experience of which at least two years must be in a supervisory position of two or more levels and two years of which should be in juvenile detention.
- Possess the ability to read, analyze and interpret complex documents; respond effectively to sensitive inquiries or complaints; make effective presentations on controversial or complex topics to Judges, Court and County leadership, public groups and state and county officials; and define problems, collect data, establish facts and draw valid conclusions.
Compensation and Benefits
The starting salary is expected to be in the high $90’s. DOQ. A comprehensive benefits package includes participation in the Illinois Municipal Retirement Fund, health insurance including medical and dental (also available to dependents), life insurance. The County also offers paid vacation, holidays and sick leave.
Selection Process and Questions
Candidates should apply on line to www.govhrusa.com/career-center/ with a resume, cover letter and contact information for three professional references. First review of candidates shall begin on September 4, 2018. For Questions Contact: Mike Earl, Senior Vice President, GovHR USA at 224-261-8366 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
Lake County, Illinois is an Equal Opportunity Employer
Click HERE for Brochure!
Posted:July 26, 2018