View Our Website View All Jobs

Tri-County Regional Planning Commission - Executive Director, Lansing, MI

Clinton/Eaton/Ingham Counties, MI (Tri-County pop. 464,034) – The Tri-County Regional Planning Commission (Tri-County) office is located in Lansing, Michigan and serves the Mid-Michigan counties of Clinton (pop. 75,382), Eaton (pop. 107,757) and Ingham (pop. 280,895). Tri-County is a public planning agency established in 1956, focused on making the region a more prosperous community by planning for a strong economy, reliable transportation, and sustainable infrastructure and natural resources. They are dedicated leaders and innovators, connecting local organizations and governments to funding, technical assistance, data resources, and opportunities to discuss trends and challenges affecting the region.

Tri-County is directed by a board of 19 commissioners representing the three counties, the City of Lansing, and public transportation agencies. Commissioners guide policy and programming by participating on a variety of technical groups, community initiatives, and advisory and standing committees. Policy and programming decisions are administered by the Executive Director and staff through Tri-County’s three programs: Transportation, Environmental, and Community Development. The activities of staff and the technical groups make Tri-County a valuable resource to the 78 cities, villages, townships, and counties within the service area. Tri-County has 13 full-time employees and an annual budget of $2.1 million.

Tri-County is most interested in individuals who can think strategically and focus on the region’s long-term goals, while remaining dedicated to the organization’s day-to-day service objectives. Ideal candidates will have a strong knowledge of a variety of regional planning topics, including transportation, the environment, community development and land use. Applicants should also have a proven track record in grant and government funding administration, and finance and budget management.  The successful candidate will have exceptional communication skills and will intentionally engage with the diverse constituencies in a trustworthy and collaborative manner. 

Candidates are required to have:

  • Master’s Degree in Planning, Public or Business Administration or related discipline. A combination of a Bachelor's Degree and significant professional experience may be considered in lieu of a Master Degree.
  • Five (5) years of progressively responsible executive level experience; or an equivalent combination of education and experience.
  • Prior regional planning, municipal, or association management experience is strongly preferred. 
  • A commitment to the organization and region, including a willingness to work flexible hours and represent Tri-County at various public meetings and events.
  • Have an interest and desire to understand the unique demographics and geography of Tri-County region, with the goal of truly becoming part of the community. 

Starting salary is $110,000 to $120,000, DOQE. 

Apply on-line to with resume, cover letter and contact information for three (3) professional references by July 9, 2018; to the attention of Jaymes Vettraino, Vice President, GovHR USA, 630 Dundee Road, Suite 130, Northbrook, IL 60062 Tel: 248-379-8923; Email: The Tri-County Regional Planning Commission is an Equal Opportunity Employer.

Click HERE for Brochure!


Posted:May 29, 2018

Read More

Apply for this position

Apply with Indeed
Attach resume as .pdf, .doc, .docx, .odt, or .rtf (limit 5MB) or Paste resume

Paste your resume here or Attach resume file

To comply with government Equal Employment Opportunity / Affirmative Action reporting regulations, we are requesting (but NOT requiring) that you enter this personal data. This information will not be used in connection with any employment decisions, and will be used solely as permitted by state and federal law. Your voluntary cooperation would be appreciated. Learn more.

Invitation for Job Applicants to Self-Identify as a U.S. Veteran
  • A “disabled veteran” is one of the following:
    • a veteran of the U.S. military, ground, naval or air service who is entitled to compensation (or who but for the receipt of military retired pay would be entitled to compensation) under laws administered by the Secretary of Veterans Affairs; or
    • a person who was discharged or released from active duty because of a service-connected disability.
  • A “recently separated veteran” means any veteran during the three-year period beginning on the date of such veteran's discharge or release from active duty in the U.S. military, ground, naval, or air service.
  • An “active duty wartime or campaign badge veteran” means a veteran who served on active duty in the U.S. military, ground, naval or air service during a war, or in a campaign or expedition for which a campaign badge has been authorized under the laws administered by the Department of Defense.
  • An “Armed forces service medal veteran” means a veteran who, while serving on active duty in the U.S. military, ground, naval or air service, participated in a United States military operation for which an Armed Forces service medal was awarded pursuant to Executive Order 12985.
Veteran status

Voluntary Self-Identification of Disability
Voluntary Self-Identification of Disability Form CC-305
OMB Control Number 1250-0005
Expires 1/31/2020
Why are you being asked to complete this form?

Because we do business with the government, we must reach out to, hire, and provide equal opportunity to qualified people with disabilities.i To help us measure how well we are doing, we are asking you to tell us if you have a disability or if you ever had a disability. Completing this form is voluntary, but we hope that you will choose to fill it out. If you are applying for a job, any answer you give will be kept private and will not be used against you in any way.

If you already work for us, your answer will not be used against you in any way. Because a person may become disabled at any time, we are required to ask all of our employees to update their information every five years. You may voluntarily self-identify as having a disability on this form without fear of any punishment because you did not identify as having a disability earlier.

How do I know if I have a disability?

You are considered to have a disability if you have a physical or mental impairment or medical condition that substantially limits a major life activity, or if you have a history or record of such an impairment or medical condition.

Disabilities include, but are not limited to:

  • Blindness
  • Deafness
  • Cancer
  • Diabetes
  • Epilepsy
  • Autism
  • Cerebral palsy
  • Schizophrenia
  • Muscular dystrophy
  • Bipolar disorder
  • Major depression
  • Multiple sclerosis (MS)
  • Missing limbs or partially missing limbs
  • Post-traumatic stress disorder (PTSD)
  • Obsessive compulsive disorder
  • Impairments requiring the use of a wheelchair
  • Intellectual disability (previously called mental retardation)
Please check one of the boxes below:

You must enter your name and date
Your Name Today's Date
Reasonable Accommodation Notice

Federal law requires employers to provide reasonable accommodation to qualified individuals with disabilities. Please tell us if you require a reasonable accommodation to apply for a job or to perform your job. Examples of reasonable accommodation include making a change to the application process or work procedures, providing documents in an alternate format, using a sign language interpreter, or using specialized equipment.

iSection 503 of the Rehabilitation Act of 1973, as amended. For more information about this form or the equal employment obligations of Federal contractors, visit the U.S. Department of Labor's Office of Federal Contract Compliance Programs (OFCCP) website at

PUBLIC BURDEN STATEMENT: According to the Paperwork Reduction Act of 1995 no persons are required to respond to a collection of information unless such collection displays a valid OMB control number. This survey should take about 5 minutes to complete.