Barrington, IL - Director of Public Works
Barrington, IL (pop. 10,722), located 40 miles northwest of Chicago, is seeking qualified candidates interested in serving as its next Director of Public Works.
Barrington (4.8 square miles) is the hub of the 90 square mile Barrington area that offers hometown charm and distinct heritage as a quality community surrounded by seven other independent villages and 43,000 residents who closely associate and regularly visit downtown Barrington. With a commuter (Metra) train stop in the center of town, Barrington has remarkably easy access to the City of Chicago. Barrington's tree-lined streets and appealing restaurants make this community an enviable place to raise a family.
The Village is a full-service organization that provides high quality municipal resources through Administration, Communications, Marketing and Events, Development Services, Emergency Management, Financial Services, Fire, Human Resources and Risk Management, Police, and Public Works.
The Public Works Department provides services through seven major areas of responsibility: Administration, Central Garage, Forestry & Property Maintenance, Street Operations, Utility Maintenance Division and Water Production & Wastewater Treatment.
The Department is staffed by 24 full time employees with support from various part time (4) and seasonal positions. The Public Works Director, appointed with the approval of the Board of Trustees, reports to the Village Manager.
Qualified candidates will be expected to have:
- Three to five years of comprehensive experience in public works administrative functions, including supervisory and project management direction; knowledge of municipal practices and construction codes.
- A Bachelor’s degree from an accredited college or university in civil engineering, public administration, or a related field.
- Comprehensive knowledge of public works administrative practices, procedures and management; knowledge of construction and maintenance methods, materials, and equipment as employed in Public Works activities.
- Basic knowledge of the principles and practices of municipal public works engineering with the ability to work with Village staff Engineers to analyze and recommend solutions to complex engineering problems; ability to oversee necessary engineering research and compile comprehensive reports.
- Ability to develop, administer and carry out financial requirements of the position, including budgeting and long range planning. Knowledge of public works project planning, development and construction; ability to plan for future public works improvement and Village facilities needs.
- Considerable knowledge of the principles and practices of effective supervision, management and personnel administration; ability to delegate and distribute personnel, and to review the work of various operation divisions.
- Ability to review, develop and implement departmental programs/procedures and personnel hiring and promotional procedures, and to implement improvements.
- Ability to communicate effectively orally and in writing with employees, supervisors, vendors and the public; ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships that recognize the value of Department employees.
- Ability to train and supervise subordinate personnel; ability to exercise sound judgment in evaluating situations and in making decisions.
- A leadership style that uses the qualifications and qualities of available personnel resources to accomplish Department goals; open communication and responsible to follow-up on Department projects and plans.
- Ability to establish and maintain satisfactory working relationships with departmental and Village personnel, elected officials, residents and other intergovernmental agencies.
- A strong commitment to excellent customer service; highly collaborative; have exceptional communications skills and responsiveness to the community.
The Village of Barrington offers a competitive benefits package. Residency is not required. The salary range for this position is $105,487 - $161,851. The position is open until filled, with the review of initial applications beginning with those received on or before July 22, 2022. Applications are required to be submitted electronically with resume, cover letter and contact information for 5 professional references to www.GovHRjobs.com to the attention of Paul M. Harlow, GovHR USA, 630 Dundee Road #225 Northbrook, IL 60062 Tel: 847-380-3240.
Posted:Jul 14, 2022